The External Relations Advisory Board of ACPA – College Student Educators International is issuing a reminder to all ACPA members that the temporary waiver that expanded eligibility to the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program expires on October 31, 2022.
The limited PSLF waiver allows the following:
- Receive credit for periods of repayment on Direct, Federal Family Education (FFEL) Program Loans, or Perkins Loans
- Any prior period of repayment will count as a qualifying payment after Oct. 1, 2007, regardless of loan program, repayment plan, or whether the payment was made in full or on time
- Periods of repayment on loans before consolidation count, even if paid late, or for less than the amount due
- Can get forgiveness even if you are not employed or not employed by a qualifying employer at the time of application and forgiveness
- If you got Teacher Loan Forgiveness, the period of service that led to your eligibility will count toward PSLF (if you certify employment for PSLF for that period)
We encourage all ACPA members that currently work in higher work or previously worked in higher education and/or public service and took out federal education loans to fund their education to examine if they are eligible for PSLF.
Members are encouraged to log into their respective Federal Student Aid Account through the Department of Education: https://studentaid.gov
Additional information can be found at: https://www.mohela.com. MOHELA is the new federal loan servicer for those going through the PSLF process as of summer 2022.
We encourage members to read through the information provided via a number of resources as well as to follow-up with your respective Human Resource (HR) offices as they will need to certify your employment history.
One resource for you to utilize can be the co-hosted ACPA2GO Webinar ACPA2GO: The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program Waiver Period with guest speakers from the U.S. Department of Education. This webinar can be found at: https://youtu.be/OhMg_chp9NM.
In addition, an online community can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pslfprogramsupport. ACPA is not responsible for the content of this online resource just making members aware that this exists and several have found this resource to be helpful.
Don’t delay in taking full advantage of the temporary waiver that expires on October 31, 2022.